Monday, January 21, 2013

Refinishing my free dresser in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

YAY for my first Post!! Blogging is something I have thought about doing and after a few friends encouraged me to share some of the projects I've done, I figured "Why not!" I would love to inspire others to jump on the band wagon of refinishing old things to make them new again. This is obviously a very popular thing to do right now and as you will soon find out I try out all sorts of crafts and projects, because if it saves me money to do it myself, I am all over that!

We just moved into a new house in Gig Harbor and it is truly a place I hope I get to grow old in, it inspired me to name this Blog the "Hauer Homestead", hence the nickname of our new house. With a new homes comes the challenges of existing furniture not fitting the new house or serving the space well. Also, there is obviously always a need for new furniture, the part I love. Except that my budget does not allow for new furniture, so I jumped on the trend of refinishing old furniture. Our house is definitely a farm house style, so I am into the antiqued edges and all. After lots of research I settled on the very popular paint, Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I will share the items I have refinished with you and then go over the PRO's and CON's of the Chalk Paint with you. I have done several projects in the last month and I love the colors she offers.

Here is my first Project: A free dresser turned T.V. Stand. I know it's hard to come by free furniture because refinishing has become so popular, but just always keep your eyes open and let your family and friends know you will always take their free furniture. My Mom had this old beauty in her house and my husband thought I was NUTS when I said I wanted to try and paint it before we take it to Goodwill. It was worth a try right?! Now it is a crowd favorite!

BEFORE:



AFTER:


I used ASCP Aubusson Blue for the main color and French Linen for the metal Hardware.

I did two coats on the top because it was laminate and one coat on everything else. I antiqued the edges by wiping with a damp sponge after it dried for about 30 minutes, instead of sanding. 

I painted right over the metal hardware, I didn't realize how much I would LOVE the detail!



My husband and I both loved the way it turned out, and it inspired me to do several other pieces of furniture too! Posts to come.


MY PRO's AND CON's of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint:

PRO

Organic and doesn't have a smell. I painted this piece in my parents garage, because I wanted to have it painted before I moved into new house. The pieces I've done since we moved in I have painted in my laundry room, and I can't smell paint at all, it's CRAZY AWESOME!

I applied the wax once we moved in, I did it one night in my living room once my kids went to bed, talk about convenient and easy. It doesn't drip and you can wipe on with a rag. It's like shea butter consistency?!

It is the easiest clean up ever! I have done a lot of painting in my day and I am so lazy and hate dealing with paint thinner, etc. that  I usually throw away my brushes. I know that's not frugal and it goes against my grain, but things also have to be somewhat easy when you have two kids to chase after too. I always bought the cheapest brushes, but now I have invested in a Purdy brush :) You can wash away this paint with water and it doesn't leave stiff bristles later. The wax requires using soap and water, but hey, I can handle that!!

It coats thick and easily. The paint lasts forever! It's like Mary Poppin's Purse or something. I have done two chairs, this dresser, a side table and another dresser with Aubusson blue and I still probably have 1/6 of the can left. 

Last, but certainly not least... The ZERO prep work factor. HELLO, LIFESAVER. I squeeze in painting a dresser during nap time, so if I can pump out a dresser in 2 hours, I am one happy Momma!!!

CON

The wax is easy to use, but it doesn't protect the way I would like. I have been researching using a Poly on top of the paint for a kitchen table or for my kitchen cabinets, because I notice that the wax shows oily finger prints very easily. With two small children, it lacks the durability I would hope for. I still plan to use it on most projects, but I would like a Poly with a more Satin finish for large surfaces that get a ton of wear. 

The price....but if you consider how long it lasts and no primer and that you will re-use your brushes, it actually is probably cheaper than the conventional route. 

I hope this helps you even just a little bit, now go out and paint some furniture!


I purchased my Chalk Paint at the Design Cottage in Tacoma, WA. So thankful to have someone close that sells it, Thanks ladies!



No comments:

Post a Comment