Friday, January 25, 2013

Frugal Fabric Find!

So a quick TIP OF THE DAY!  As I discovered while trying to create a ruffle tree skirt (as seen all over Pinterest), it is expensive to buy several yards of linen fabric, especially if it has a hint of metallic. It was close to $10 a yard and even with coupons, it was really getting up there in price. I also had to drive over a toll bridge to get to a Joann Fabrics, which made it even more expensive. So my thought was, where can I find cheap fabric???

TABLE CLOTH S AND CURTAINS! Most are 60" x 90" (2.5 yards) or even 60" x 120"(3.3 yards) for a rectangle table cloth. Usually ranging from $10-$30 ( I really only know Target prices, since it is my usual hang out spot).
 A yard of upholstery fabric is 36"x 58" or around there. If you are looking at linen or burlap for $7-$10/ yard or for upholstery fabric is upwards of around $15-$20 a yard. Even with a 40% coupon it is adds up quick.

For this tree skirt project:

I used: 1 round table cloth which was $10 and I had a online Target coupon for $2.00 off + plus 5% for using my Target Debit Card
            1 rectangle table cloth, 60" x 120" $17.99 plus another $2.00 coupon, + Target Red Card
                (3.3 yards of fabric is now about $4.85/yard)
            1 rectangle table cloth,  60" x 90"  $12.99 plus another $2.00 coupon + Target Red Card
                (2.5 yards of fabric is now about $4.40/yard)

So total for this project I paid just under $30 for the fabric I used.

Here is the picture of how pretty this fabric was, plus I had several hemmed edges I could use for parts of the tree skirt I wanted hemmed. I also cut the cute wrap around the packaging and used it for my closures. SO CUTE!

THE BEST PART IS.....I STILL HAVE A TON OF FABRIC LEFT TO USE ON OTHER PROJECTS! I am going to add my "How I made it" posts for these projects soon!

Here is a sneak peak of an old gold based Lamp I Re-vamped for free! Using this super cute metallic linen fabric!  Also, a little Annie Sloan Chalk Paint I already had! Tutorial to be posted soon :)


So to sum up all I have covered, always look out for clearance table cloths and curtains, they usually are super cute patterns or heavy fabrics! Buy them and save them, because if you are like me, it's nice to have a little something lying around when a idea for a craft project hits you! Now go forth, be frugal and create my friends! It always feels better when you made something cute that is almost free!!!


Stefanie




No comments:

Post a Comment